July 9, 2013

Straight Steps

Everglades, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida


Due to the abysmal mismanagement of planes and people cursed colloquially as "Spirit Airlines", our Cause 4 Life team spent two unplanned days in Ft. Lauderdale while we waited for an available flight to Haiti. One of the most beautiful moments from this unintended layover was the above view in the Everglades, the wet quilt of Florida. Flatness usually makes me edgy, constantly glancing suspiciously to see who misplaced the hills. Yet, this levee pathway felt like an invitation. Gazing ahead, we could see the sun streaming through the near clouds and, far in the distance, rain slanting from darker confections. Half of the team was coaxing any alligators within hearing to come out for a peek, and the other half was covertly praying them away. The wind pulsed the grass, and the humidity seemed to buoy the lazy dragonflies. The glades were calm yet vibrant with color, water, and stealthy creatures. The scene reminded me of Proverbs 16:9 --

The heart of a man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.

Even when the road ahead of us seems still, predictable, unvaried, we do not actually know what is ahead or to the side. Danger could spring in an instant; adventure may be waiting a hop and skip down the path. 

My family will readily attest that circumstances appearing as this unbending pathway frustrate me with their predictable banality. I like forcing change. In sharp contrast to my quick impatience, God is faithfully teaching me to trust His direction. Three years ago I dropped my five-year plan down a dark hole and waited. Sometimes I feel like a preppy, comfortable version of Joseph in prison, dwelling in acknowledged favor and divine tutelage but waiting my turn to freely exercise my gifts. "Remember me when it is well with you..." Joseph told a would-be patron. Joseph planned his way, but the Lord directed his steps. His story climaxed with exceptional power and prestige, but God would have been no less faithful had his steps continued day after day after still another day in prison, alligators and dragonflies creeping and sputtering on the side. Every week I ponder this conundrum of faithfulness and conclude: 

Our hearts plan in hope, and our feet walk in grace.

No comments: